When building your new home, one thing you’ll need to consider is the type of window treatment you want. Just as much as the flooring and wall colour will have an impact in your space, so too will your windows.
Apart from aesthetic appeal, many homeowners are looking for three elements when it comes to their window coverings: privacy, framing a view, and insulation. Hotondo Homes is here to provide you with some tips on making the right choice for your home.
What’s the difference between curtains and blinds?
Curtains and blinds may share similar functionalities but they differ in presentation. Blinds will cover the entire window, while curtains hang in front of the window and extend past the window’s shelf and drape to the floor.
Blinds are available in a range of styles, such as roller blinds, Venetian blinds, and Roman blinds. Likewise, curtains come in different colours, patterns and fabrics.
A similarity between the two is that both blinds and curtains can be automated. This means with a single voice command or touch of a button on a remote control connected to a home’s WiFi, they can be opened or closed.
Which window furnishing is right for me?
When it comes to your windows, there’s a lot to consider when you want to furnish it. In addition to finding what will complement your space while adding a touch of warmth and texture, you’ll also need to consider the specific style that will be most suitable for different rooms in your home. For example, a lot of people prefer block out curtains for their bedroom to help keep the light out in the early morning but will choose plantation blinds for their kitchen to encourage light and ventilation to filter through as they prepare meals.
Equally stylish and functional, one thing is certain: whether you choose curtains or blinds, they both require minimal ongoing maintenance. Here, we list the benefits of curtains and blinds so you can make an informed decision about what best suits you and your home’s aesthetics.
Consider the room itself
Whether you choose curtains or blinds to cover your window depends on the room itself. In the bathroom or kitchen, you may be more inclined to invest in blinds, as they are easier to clean and resistant to moisture. On the other hand, curtains in a living room, bedroom or dining space add softness and texture.
Benefits of curtains
- Curtains don’t necessarily need to be made to measure as precisely as blinds, as they will often overlap the edge of a window.
- Curtains are effective at keeping the cold out and the warmth in your home during winter.
- With their movement, curtains deliver a beautiful and impressive aesthetic to any space.
- Curtains are easy to clean: simply remove them and put them in the washing machine.
Benefits of blinds
- When it comes to light filtration, blinds are more versatile. For example, Venetian blinds allow some light in, while block out blinds ensure sun doesn’t creep through your window while you’re sleeping.
- If you have limited space in a room, blinds are the better choice as they don’t extend out from the window too much.
- Blinds are easy to clean. In the case of Venetian blinds, you can wipe them down with a duster or a damp cloth.
- Due to their durable material, blinds generally won’t fade when exposed to the sun.
Why not both?
If you love the look of curtains and blinds, but can’t decide between the two, the good news is that you can pair them together to create a seamless aesthetic. When paired together, they can add depth to your window. For example, you may like to have blinds installed, but cover them with soft sheer curtains so that when the blinds are open there is still an element of privacy, and a beautiful soft feature in the room. At night, the blinds can be drawn yet remain hidden behind the sheer curtains so light is blocked out but the interior decor aesthetic remains unchanged.
For more interior decorating tips and inspiration, please visit our Hotondo Homes blogs.